Strategic Energy Plan
Our Tribe’s energy vision is of a healthy, efficient, sustainable community, having our own renewable energy system, which supplies Kasaan as well as other communities with reasonably priced power, improving the overall well being of our area.
In 2011, OVK received a “First Steps” Strategic Energy Planning grant from the U.S. Department of Energy to develop and adopt a Strategic Energy Plan to serve as the tribe’s blueprint for creating long-term energy self‐sufficiency. It includes an action plan to increase awareness, conservation, efficiency, and to prepare for the future sustainability.
OVK has completed follow-up on recommended actions:
- Promoting the teaching of the Alaska EnergySmart Energy Efficiency Curriculum at the Barry C. Stewart School.
- Providing weatherization information. See attached flyer for additional information about weatherization programs in our region. In the future, OVK plans to offer community paperwork parties to assist with necessary forms. Watch for additional information soon!
- Designed and built energy efficient buildings in the Kasaan Cultural Campus, including the Totem Trail Café and the Discovery Cabins.
- Implementing the Elder Firewood Program.
- Working with the Southeast Island School District to assist with the wood-fired boiler, which will soon heat the school and greenhouse.
- Pursuing funding for a feasibility study to develop a hydro project on Linkum Creek.
For additional information, contact Carrie Sykes, Economic Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org