The Organized Village of Kasaan (OVK) is a federally recognized tribal government that was established on October 15, 1938. As well as being a federally recognized tribe, we benefit from 501(c)3 recognition. The organization consists of a seven member tribal council which serves at the pleasure of 100+ tribal memberships. In the Charter of The Organized Village of Kasaan, it states, “Whereas,
a group of Indians having a common bond of residence in the neighborhood
of Kasaan, Territory of Alaska, seek to organize under sections 16 and 17 of the Indian Reorganization Act of June 18, 1934 (48 Stat.
984), and section 1 of the Act of May 1, 1936 (49 Stat. 1250),
by ratification of a constitution and by-laws and a charter approved
by the Secretary of the Interior on October 15, 1938.
- OVK sells rock, Click Here for more information.
- Kavilco, Inc. & OVK begin the "Save the Whale" house restoration! Click Here!
- Sealaska, Kasaan sign sacred site management agreement. Click Here!
- Sealaska Corporation and the Organized Village of Kasaan sign MOA. Click Here!
- Contact information is available here